Diane H. Sorensen
Ms. Sorensen, who was born and raised in a small western Kansas town, has been practicing in the area of employment law at Morris Laing for over 30 years. A 1984 graduate of the University of Kansas law school, she completed two judicial clerkships (one for the Kansas Supreme Court, and the other for the United States District Court for the District of Kansas) prior to joining the firm in 1988.
Labor and Employment Law
Diane’s practice includes litigation in state and federal court of employment matters for both plaintiffs and defendants, from non-compete agreement enforcement to discrimination claims. Her work includes advising employer clients on all aspects of employment law, handling of administrative complaints, drafting of employment contracts, conducting on-site investigations of sensitive personnel matters, and training supervisory employees. Diane is a frequent speaker at employment law seminars, and has published numerous articles on employment law topics.
Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
Diane is also involved in alternative dispute resolution, and is skilled at helping litigants reach resolution of disputes. She is an approved federal mediator and frequently mediates employment law cases. She is an employment law panel member of the American Arbitration Association and was also inducted to the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals. Diane is the only female in Kansas who is a member of this prestigious organization, and the only member located in Wichita. Diane is active in the legal community (she currently serves on the Kansas Commission for Judicial Qualifications and is an editor of the Kansas Annual Survey), as well as the Wichita community. Diane has received Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory’s highest AV®* rating for lawyers.
- Kansas State University, B.S in Secondary Education, English and Math, 1981
- University of Kansas, J.D., 1984
- Kansas Bar, 1984
- Law Clerk to Chief Justice Alfred G. Schroeder, Kansas Supreme Court, 1984-1986
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Patrick F. Kelly, 1986-1988
- Employment Law Section, Kansas Bar Association, Past President (1997), Current Treasurer
- Chairman, Board of Editors, Kansas Bar Journal, 2002-2005; Member of the Board of Editors 1988-2009
- Editor, Kansas Annual Survey, 2009-present
- Member, Kansas Commission on Judicial Qualifications
- Kansas Supreme Court Approved Mediator
- United States District Court for the District of Kansas Approved Mediator
- Member of the Association of Attorney – Mediators
- Federal Bench Bar Committee, 2016-2018
- Panel member for the American Arbitration Association (AAA) in the area of Employment Law
- Member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, 2021
- YWCA Board of Directors, 2015-2016
- Member and past-president, KU Law School Board of Governors
- The Independent School Board of Trustees, 2004-2011
- Plymouth Preschool Advisory Board Member
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory AV®* rating
- Recipient of Kansas Bar Association’s “Outstanding Service Award”, 2006
- Selected for inclusion in the Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers publication in the area of Employment and Labor
- Selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America publication in the area of Labor & Employment Law, 2005-2018
- Wichita Business Journal’s Women in Business 2015 award recipient
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2016 Employment Law – Management “Lawyer of the Year” in Wichita, Kansas
*CV, BV and AV are all registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.