Diane H. Sorensen
Ms. Sorensen, who was born and raised in a small western Kansas town, has been practicing in the area of employment law at Morris Laing for over 30 years. A 1984 graduate of the University of Kansas law school, she completed two judicial clerkships (one for the Kansas Supreme Court, and the other for the United States District Court for the District of Kansas) prior to joining the firm in 1988. Diane is active in the legal community (she currently serves on the Kansas Commission on Judicial Conduct and is an editor of the Kansas Annual Survey), as well as the Wichita community. Diane has received Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory’s highest AV®* rating for lawyers.
Labor and Employment Law
Diane’s practice includes litigation in state and federal court of employment matters for both plaintiffs and defendants, from non-compete agreement enforcement to discrimination claims. Her work also includes non-litigation matters such as advising employer clients on all aspects of employment law, handling of administrative complaints, drafting of employment contracts, drafting employee handbooks, and conducting management training. Diane is a frequent speaker at employment law seminars, and has published numerous articles on employment law topics.
Diane has extensive experience in conducting sensitive workplace investigations in situations where there are allegations of unlawful harassment or discrimination. She endeavors to build trust, determine underlying issues, and recommend responses that will improve the workplace going forward.
Sexual Abuse/Title IX Litigation
Diane has successfully handled sexual abuse/Title IX litigation on behalf of student victims of abuse by teachers. These cases are sensitive, as well as complex, and Diane is skilled in handling these cases and the special concerns such cases present.
Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
Diane is also involved in alternative dispute resolution, and is skilled at helping litigants reach resolution of disputes. She is an approved federal mediator and frequently mediates employment law cases. She is an employment law panel member of the American Arbitration Association and was also inducted to the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals. Diane is the only female in Kansas who is a member of this prestigious organization, and the only member located in Wichita.
- Kansas State University, B.S in Secondary Education, English and Math, 1981
- University of Kansas, J.D., 1984
- Kansas Bar, 1984
- Law Clerk to Chief Justice Alfred G. Schroeder, Kansas Supreme Court, 1984-1986
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Patrick F. Kelly, 1986-1988
- Employment Law Section, Kansas Bar Association, Past President (1997), Current Treasurer
- Chairman, Board of Editors, Kansas Bar Journal, 2002-2005; Member of the Board of Editors 1988-2009
- Editor, Kansas Annual Survey, 2009-present
- Chair, Kansas Commission on Judicial Conduct
- Kansas Supreme Court Approved Mediator
- United States District Court for the District of Kansas Approved Mediator
- Member of the Association of Attorney – Mediators
- Federal Bench Bar Committee, 2016-2018
- Panel member for the American Arbitration Association (AAA) in the area of Employment Law
- Member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, 2021
- Carriage Factory Art Gallery Board of Directors, 2019 to present
- Plymouth Preschool Advisory Board Member, 2015 to present
- YWCA Board of Directors, 2015-2016
- Member and past-president, KU Law School Board of Governors
- The Independent School Board of Trustees, 2004-2011
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory AV®* rating
- Recipient of Kansas Bar Association’s “Outstanding Service Award”, 2006
- Selected for inclusion in the Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers publication in the area of Employment and Labor
- Selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® publication in the area of Labor & Employment Law, 2007-2022
- Wichita Business Journal’s Women in Business 2015 award recipient
- Recognized as Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of Employment Law – Management for Wichita, Kansas 2012, 2016, 2021
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of Employment Law – Individuals for Wichita, Kansas 2014, 2017, 2020
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers & Partners USA publication, Band 2 for Labor and Employment – Kansas, 2021, 2022
*CV, BV and AV are all registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.