Heather S. Esau Zerger
Heather’s practice includes representation of clients in a variety of contexts. She has extensive experience in commercial litigation, including representation of financial institutions, municipalities, and other commercial clients in all aspects of the litigation process. In addition, Heather has successfully tried commercial cases representing plaintiffs. In a jury trial on behalf of plaintiff clients, the jury awarded damages in the amount of $3 million. Heather first-chaired the punitive phase of another jury trial on behalf of a plaintiff that resulted in a damage award of $10 million.
Heather is also experienced in employment litigation and counseling. She has defended and creatively resolved FLSA collective actions, and represents employers in defense of claims of race, age, and sex discrimination, and retaliation. She assists clients in creating effective employment policies and procedures. Heather also assists clients in conducting investigations, as well as training their employees on workplace conduct issues, such as unlawful discrimination and harassment, and wage and hour issues.
In addition, Heather has experience assisting financial institutions in documenting commercial loans and advising banks with respect to contractual matters.
A native of Nebraska, Heather married Jon, a native Kansan and, consequently, has become a KU basketball fan. When she is not helping clients with legal matters, she can be found in the bleachers at one of her kids’ sporting events. Jon and Heather have two children, Justin and Addison.
- Bethel College, B.A., summa cum laude, 1996
- University of Minnesota, J.D., cum laude, 1999
- Missouri, 2001
- Kansas, 2002
- Michigan, 1999 (no longer licensed)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits
- United States District Courts for the District of Kansas, Eastern District of Michigan and Western District of Missouri
- Member Kansas Bar Association, Missouri Bar Association, Wichita Bar Association, Harvey County Bar Association
- Bethel College, Board of Directors, current member and former Chair of the Board
- Selected for inclusion in the Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers, 2014-2018
- Included on the Super Lawyers list of Missouri and Kansas Rising Stars, 2008, 2011-2013
- Up and Coming Lawyer, 2009
- Top Young Attorney in MO and KS, 2008
*CV, BV and AV are all registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.