Justin F. Carter
Mr. Carter is a partner with Morris Laing’s Chicago office, as well as Co-Founder and Agent for Scarlet Evolution International, LLC (SEI), a wholly owned subsidiary of Morris Laing which provides representation to eSports players and eTalent around the world.
Civil & Consumer Finance Litigation
Justin has extensive experience in default servicing compliance and civil litigation related to the representation of banks, mortgage lenders, and mortgage servicers. He also has numerous years of experience in Bankruptcy law related to his representation of both creditors and corporate debtors. Specifically, Justin handles consumer finance litigation involving mortgage fraud, real property law, creditor rights, title resolution, the SCRA, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and other related consumer finance statutes at both the federal and state level. Mr. Carter represents his clients at the appellate level in both state and federal court.
Video Game & Intellectual Property Law
Justin assists Game Developers, Tech Startups and Creative Agencies form new business entities, negotiate VC financing, and draft Operating Agreements and other founding documents. He practices in all aspects of intellectual property matters including registration, licensing, protecting, and enforcing the rights of trademark, copyright and patent owners in the video gaming and tech industries. Justin also assists Game Developers by drafting End User License Agreements, Software Licensing Agreements, Privacy Policies, Terms of Service, Non-Disclosure Agreements and Work-For-Hire Agreements with Independent Contractors.
eSports/eTalent Related Law
As an Agent for SEI, Justin drafts and negotiates salary contracts for eSports players along with agreements related to sponsorship, licensing, and endorsement deals. Finally, Justin also advises Streaming/YouTube Professionals on fair use copyright issues and DMCA notices; along with negotiating sponsorship, licensing and multi-channel network agreements.
- Creighton University, B.A., cum laude, 2003
- Creighton University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- Missouri Bar, 2005
- Nebraska Bar, 2006
- Michigan Bar, 2008
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan; District of Nebraska; Northern District of Ohio; and the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth and Seventh Circuits
- Student Articles Editor, Creighton Law Review, 2004-2005
- Real Property Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan – Real Property Law Section
- Article for E-Journal on Michigan Supreme Court’s Residential Funding v. Saurman Opinion, December 2011
- The National Firm, LLC
- Article for E-Journal on Michigan Court of Appeal’s Residential Funding v. Saurman Opinion, August 2011
- Article for E-Journal on Williams v. Wayne County Sheriff’s Department et al., February 2011
- Article for E-Journal on Recent Case Law Related to the Priority Between an Assignment of Mortgage and Condo Association Lien, 2010
- Article for E-Journal on Oakland County v. Fannie Mae Opinion, April 2012
- Article for E-Journal on Kim v. JPMorgan Chase Bank Opinion, February 2012
- Other Publications
- Article for REOMAC Update, A Year in Review: Examining the 2008 Legislative Changes to the Manufactured Housing Industry, January 2009
- Article for Managing REO, Manufactured Housing Legislative Update, October 2008
- Article for REOMAC Update, A Guide to Increasing the Return on an REO Sale through Property Maintenance and Preservation, May 2008.
- Published in Volume 37 of the Creighton Law Review, 2nd Edition, 2004
- Presenter at the International Association of Special Investigation Units Annual Conference on Michigan Foreclosure Law and Casualty Insurance, October 2011
- Presenter at the Real Estate Investment Association of Oakland County Member Meeting on Navigating Foreclosures and Short Sales for Investors, August 2011
- Presenter at Michigan Real Property Law Annual Summer Conference on MERS, July 2011
- Presenter at Michigan Young Lawyer Section’s Annual Conference on Quiet Title Actions, May 2011
- Presenter at Michigan Real Property Law Seminar at Wayne State Univ. Law School on Responsibilities of a Real Estate Practitioner, November 2010
- Presenter at Michigan Real Property Law Breakfast Roundtable Seminar on Buying and Selling REO, October 2010