Jeffery L. Carmichael
During his 35 years at Morris Laing, Mr. Carmichael has handled a wide range of litigation, including personal injury, business litigation, insurance disputes, probate litigation and advising clients on litigation related matters.
Jeff has tried a variety of cases to verdict throughout the state courts of Kansas, federal courts and bankruptcy court. Jeff has been successful before juries, representing clients both as plaintiffs and defendants in a wide range of personal injury and business and insurance claims.
Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory has rated Jeff at the highest AV®* rating for lawyers.
Jeff grew up in Cedar Falls, Iowa and attended the University of Iowa where he received his undergraduate degree. While at UNI, Jeff participated in inter-collegiate debate for four years and participated in debate tournaments throughout the United States.
Upon graduation from UNI, Jeff accepted a position at Wichita State University to become the assistant debate coach and work on his Masters degree. During the two years that Jeff was at Wichita State University, he assisted in coaching a very successful inter-collegiate debate program and received his Masters degree in communications.
Upon graduation from Wichita State University, Jeff attended the University of Kansas School of Law. While at the KU Law School, Jeff participated in Moot Court Competitions, and was named one of the outstanding members of law school body and recipient of the Doonan Stevenson Award as a member of the law student body. Upon graduation from KU, Jeff joined Morris Laing Law Firm.
When he is not working, Jeff is a devoted hunter and fisherman. He trains his own hunting dogs and hunts all variety of game birds, deer, and turkey. When he isn’t hunting, Jeff is an avid bass fisherman, snow skis, water skis, and just generally loves the outdoors.
- University of Northern Iowa, B.A., 1976
- Wichita State University, M.A., 1978
- University of Kansas, J.D., 1981
- Kansas Bar, 1981
- President of Wichita Young Lawyers, 1986
- KBA Young Lawyer delegate to ABA, 1987
- Has participated in committees of the Wichita Bar Association on an annual basis
- President, Kansas Trial Lawyers Association, 2012-2013
- Member, Wichita Bar Association and Kansas Bar Association
- Member, Kansas Association for Justice and American Association for Justice
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory AV®* rating
- Selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America publication in the area of Personal Injury – Plaintiffs, 2012-2015
- Selected for inclusion in the Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers publication in the area of Personal Injury, 2009-2010
- KBA Pro Bono Award, 1994
- “Will Contests in Kansas,” Journal of the Kansas Bar Association
- Matter of Estate of Bennett, 865 P.2d 1062 (Kan. Ct. App. 1993)(trial counsel on probate dispute involving a $85 million estate).
- Beck v. Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Kansas, Inc., 44 P.3d 1237 (Kan. 2002)(lead trial counsel on $1.6 million dollar judgment for our client).
- Team Elec. Supply, Inc. v. Station Wholesale Elec. Co., No. 80,430, 2000 Kan. App. LEXIS 231 (Kan. Ct. App. Mar. 3, 2000)(unpublished)Team(lead trial counsel in successful defense of a tortious interference with contract claim).
- Richards v. Bryan, 897 P.2d 638 (Kan. Ct. App. 1994), as modified on denial of reh’q (Sept. 27, 1994)(lead trial counsel in case of first impression establishing right of direct action for minority shareholders in closely held corporations in Kansas).