Cody A. Phillips
Mr. Phillips is a native of the Wichita area who graduated magna cum laude from Wichita State University in 2009 with a Bachelor’s degree in Economics. His legal career began in the Kansas Army National Guard where he honorably served as a Legal Non-Commissioned Officer. In 2015, Cody graduated magna cum laude from the Washington and Lee University School of Law in Lexington, Virginia.
During law school, Cody was an extern to the Honorable Judge Paul Black, Bankruptcy Judge for the Western District of Virginia. In recognition of his contributions to the topic, the American Bankruptcy Institute awarded Mr. Phillips its Medal for Excellence in the Study of Bankruptcy Law.
At Morris Laing, Cody practices in the areas of Oil and Gas, Real Estate, and Business Law; advising clients on transactional issues and vigorously representing them in civil litigation. He also counsels clients on estate planning and administration.
Cody and his wife, Abby, live on a small farm. Whether hunting, fishing, golfing, riding horses or motorcycles, or caring for the various plants and animals on their farm, Cody is at home outdoors and enjoys sharing this passion with family and friends.
Although he is no longer in the military, Cody proudly continues to serve his local community as both an elected official and volunteer.
- Washington and Lee University, J.D., magna cum laude, 2015
- Wichita State University, B.B.A., magna cum laude, 2009
- Kansas Bar, 2015
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2015
- United States District Court for the District of Kansas, 2015
- United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri, 2016
- Member, Kansas Bar Association, Wichita Bar Association
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Paul Black, Bankruptcy Judge for the Western District of Virginia
- Legal Non-Commissioned Officer, Kansas and Virginia Army National Guards
- Legal Assistant with the United States Army Corps of Engineers
- Summer Honors Legal Intern, Federal Trade Commission, Antitrust Division
- Junior Editor, German Law Journal
- Panel Member, United Way of the Plains Grant Review Panel, 2015
- Treasurer, Spring Township, Butler County, Kansas
- American Bankruptcy Institute Medal for Excellence
- Facilitating Property Transfers Through Owner-Carried Transactions, Sept. 2016